Staying Calm in the Storm
As we go about our day, it’s easy to get swept away in the rising tide of expectations and pressures that come with the life. It’s easy for anxiety to begin welling up inside and then crash over us in a wave of panic. With thoughts racing, it’s easy to feel like you’re drowning and feel uncertain about how to begin to manage in the chaos.
It reminds me of the time when the disciples were caught unexpectedly in a storm. They lost their composure and completely panicked when the waves began crashing over the boat. In their panic, they woke Jesus up who was resting peacefully. Jesus, being the amazing helper and protector that he is, responds immediately and calms the storm for his friends. How amazing that must have been to see and experience? I imagine the disciples felt immediate peace and comfort. Luke 8:22-25
What’s even greater is that the same power that calmed the winds and waves is available to us today when we call on the name of Jesus. When we start to feel overwhelmed, anxious or panicked we can call on Jesus to help still the storms raging inside. His peace provides a sense of calmness and clarity that will guide and comfort you through the storm because of his great love for you!
Here are some steps I take with Jesus to navigate the storms in my life.
- Recognize the storm and take a deep breath. Call on the Name of Jesus.
- Step away and take a quiet break to calm your mind. Talk to Jesus about what you are thinking and feeling.
- Prioritize your tasks in order of importance or deadlines. Ask Jesus for help organizing your work.
- Focus on one task at a time. Do one task well then move on to the next. Multitasking is not always the best. Ask Jesus for focus and clarity.
- Gain awareness around what triggers the first thoughts and feelings of overwhelm. Take notice of the type of take, the time of day, and how the tasks are communicated. Ask Jesus for a solution.
- Do your best! Jesus always deserves our best!
- Remind yourself how loved and amazing you are! God loves you always and forever!!!
For the One,